You're Interested in
- National Affairs
- 1. Vice President Naidu embarks on the three-day visit to France
- 2. Cabinet decides to open a central tribal university in Andhra Pradesh
- 3. World Bank inks USD 172 million project agreement with AP
- National Appointment
- 4. Lok Sabha Secy Gen gets a one-year extension
- 5. Kerala HC disqualifies IUML MLA
- 6. India re-elected as the member of ITU council
- International Affairs
- 7. Parliamentary elections to be held on 23rd December in Bangladesh
- 8. Ozone: The Earth’s protective shield is repairing
- Important Days
- 9. Uttarakhand celebrates its 18th formation day
- 10. Bajwa shoots historic skeet gold at Asian Shotgun Championship
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Action itself, so long as I am convinced that it is right action, gives me satisfaction“
- Take Quiz Now
1. Vice President Naidu embarks on the three-day visit to France
- The Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu will attend the Paris Peace Forum being held to commemorate the centenary of the end to the First World War.
- The Heads of State, Heads of Government of over 50 countries and their representatives are participating in the centenary activities.
- Mr Naidu will attend the ceremony to commemorate the armistice of World War I at Arc de Triomphe.
- He will also address the Indian community and will inaugurate the Indian War Memorial at Villers Guislain.
- The objective of the Paris Peace Forum is to establish a global platform to reaffirm the importance of multilateralism, international cooperation and reform of global governance institutions.
2. Cabinet decides to open a central tribal university in Andhra Pradesh
- The Union Cabinet has approved an amendment to the Central Universities Act- 2009 for setting up of a Central Tribal University in Andhra Pradesh.
- A fund of 420 crore rupees has been granted as the first phase expenditure towards the establishment of the University.
- The Cabinet has also given in-principle approval for leasing out six airports through Public Private Partnership.
- They are Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Guwahati, Thiruvananthapuram and Mangaluru.
3. World Bank inks USD 172 million project agreement with AP
- The Central Govt. & Andhra Pradesh (AP) state governments and the World Bank have signed the loan agreement of USD 172.20 million projects to enhance agricultural productivity, profitability, and climate resilience of poor and marginalized farmers in Andhra Pradesh.
- This project will help to enhance agricultural productivity, profitability, and climate resilience of poor and marginalised farmers in Andhra Pradesh.
- The Andhra Pradesh Integrated Irrigation and Agriculture Transformation Project (APIIATP) will be implemented in rural areas largely dependent upon rain-fed agriculture.
4. Lok Sabha Secy Gen gets a one-year extension
- The Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has extended the tenure of Snehlata Shrivastava (first female Lok Sabha Secretary General) for one year.
- She is a 1982 batch IAS officer from the Madhya Pradesh cadre.
- Her extension will be effective from the 1st of December to the 30th of November next year.
5. Kerala HC disqualifies IUML MLA
- The Kerala High Court has disqualified an Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) MLA ‘K.M. Shaji’ on a plea claiming that he used religion to win the Assembly polls in 2016.
- Disqualifying K.M. Shaji had won the elections from Azhikode Assembly constituency in 2016.
- The court gave the judgement on a plea filed by LDF candidate M.V. Nikesh Kumar, who contested the election against Mr. Shaji (win by a margin of 2,287 votes).
6. India re-elected as the member of ITU council
- India has been elected as a member of the International Telecommunications Union Council (ITU) from 2019 to 2022.
- India ranked third among the 13 countries elected to the council from the Asia-Australasia region, and eighth among the 48 countries elected to the council globally.
- The elections to the council were held during the ongoing ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 at Dubai, UAE.
- The International Telecommunication Union is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN), founded on the principle of international cooperation between governments (Member States) and the private sector (Sector Members, Associates and Academia)
- It is responsible for issues that concern information and communication technologies.
- Currently, ITU has a membership of 193 countries and almost 800 private-sector entities and academic institutions.
7. Parliamentary elections to be held on 23rd December in Bangladesh
- According to Bangladesh Chief Election Commissioner of KM Nurul Huda, Parliamentary elections of Bangladesh will be held on 23rd December 2018.
- All preparations for an election were already completed, the last date for filing of nominations is 19th November 2018.
- The ruling Awami League has urged the poll body to stick to its poll plan.
- It is still not clear whether the opposition BNP plans to contest the elections (boycotted the last election in 2014).
8. Ozone: The Earth’s protective shield is repairing
- According to the U.N. Environment and the World Meteorological Organization, the ozone layer (part of the stratosphere) has recovered at a rate of 1-3% per decade since 2000.
- Northern Hemisphere and mid-latitude ozone have been scheduled to heal completely by the 2030s followed by the Southern Hemisphere in the 2050s and Polar Regions by 2060.
- An ozone layer is a colourless form of a specific type of oxygen molecule that protects Earth from ultraviolet rays that can cause skin cancer, eye problems and crop damage.
- The chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) effectively began eating away at the ozone.
- An international agreement called the Montreal Protocol which banned or phased out ozone-depleting chemicals, including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
9. Uttarakhand celebrates its 18th formation day
- Today, Uttarakhand state is celebrating its 18th formation day with much fanfare and gaiety (after separation from Uttar Pradesh).
- Uttarakhand’s Governor Baby Rani Maurya reviewed the ceremonial parade at Police line in Dehradun and honoured police personals for rendering excellent service.
- On 9th November 2000, Uttarakhand became the 27th state of the Republic of India, being created from the Himalayan and adjoining northwestern districts of Uttar Pradesh.
10. Bajwa shoots historic skeet gold at Asian Shotgun Championship
- Angad Vir Singh Bajwa has won a gold with a world record score in the men’s skeet final at 8th Asian Shotgun Championship in Kuwait.
- He became the first Indian skeet shooter to win a continental or world level event.
- Angad shot a perfect 60 out of 60 in the final round to claim top spot ahead of Di Jin (China), shot 58.
- UAE’s Saeed Al Maktoum won bronze with a score of 46.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Action itself, so long as I am convinced that it is right action, gives me satisfaction“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 7-8th November 2018 before attempting the quiz.