You're Interested in
- Science & Defence
- 1. China successfully tests first hypersonic aircraft
- 2. Defence Minister launches Defence India Startup Challenge
- 3. Indo-Thai joint military exercise Maitree 2018 begins in Thailand
- 4. Senior Congress leader R.K. Dhawan passes away
- 5. Escorts Group chairman Rajan Nanda passes away
- International Affairs
- 6. International Conference on Sustainable Growth through material recycling
- 7. ASEAN foreign ministers meeting held in Singapore
- 8. Saudi Arabia freezes trade ties with Canada
- National Affairs
- 9. GST Council announces Cashback for Digital transactions
- 10. Hardeep S Puri launches official Trailer of Film ‘Halkaa’
- 11. President of India inaugurates ‘Festival of Democracy’ in Thiruvananthapuram
- Banking & Finance
- 12. France’s IDEMIA gets NPCI stamp for RuPay cards
- 13. The Netherlands wins women’s Hockey World Cup 2018
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Success is very much the intersection of luck and hard work.“
- Take Quiz Now
Science & Defence
1. China successfully tests first hypersonic aircraft
- China has successfully tested its first cutting-edge hypersonic aircraft which could carry nuclear warheads and penetrate any current generation anti-missile defence systems.
- The Xingkong-2 (Starry Sky-2) was launched in a target range located in Northwest China, the state-run China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA).
- The hypersonic aircraft was designed by the CAAA in collaboration with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
2. Defence Minister launches Defence India Startup Challenge
- The Union Defence Minister ‘Nirmala Sitharaman’ has launched defence India startup challenge in Bengaluru.
- The highlight of the event was the launch of 11 challenges by MoD now thrown open to provide solutions by the start-up ecosystem.
- The launch of challenges will provide filip to the innovation potential in the country, partnering with the best minds nationally and internationally.
- Under the SPARK the ministry has invited applications from start up, individual innovators, who fulfill the criteria listed on the website.
3. Indo-Thai joint military exercise Maitree 2018 begins in Thailand
- A joint military exercise between Indian Army and Royal Thai Army ‘Maitree 2018’ begins in Chachoengsao Province of Thailand (6th – 19th August).
- Around 45 personnel from Indian Army Contingent have moved for Joint military exercise with Royal Thai Army.
- Both the armies will undertake joint training in Counter-Insurgency and Counter-Terrorism in the Urban and Rural environment under United Nations Mandate.
- The exercise will emphasize to hone the tactical and technical skills in joint counterinsurgency and counter-terrorist operations in the rural and urban scenario under UN mandate.
4. Senior Congress leader R.K. Dhawan passes away
- Senior Congress leader Sh. Rajinder Kumar Dhawan (81-year) passed away due to age-related ailments in New Delhi.
- He was a close aide of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi (personal secretary from 1962 to 1984))
- During the Emergency years (1975-77), Dhawan was among Indira Gandhi’s inner circle of leaders.
- He was appointed Minister of State (independent charge) Housing and Urban Development (1995-1996).
5. Escorts Group chairman Rajan Nanda passes away
- Escorts Group chairman Rajan Nanda (76-year) passed away after a brief illness.
- As a member of the CII National Council, Mr. Nanda had served as chairman of its agriculture committee.
- Escorts Group is an Indian engineering company that operates in the sectors of agri-machinery, construction and material handling equipment, and railway equipment.
6. International Conference on Sustainable Growth through material recycling
- The Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated the NITI Aayog’s International Conference on “Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling: Policy Prescriptions at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi.
- The conference brought together a host of experts for identifying policy prescriptions for the development and growth of material recycling in India towards creating more jobs, reduce dependence on exports, protect the environment and take steps towards adopting circular economy concepts.
7. ASEAN foreign ministers meeting held in Singapore
- Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong chaired the 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers meeting in Singapore.
- The meeting emphasised the need for ASEAN countries to be united to avoid repercussions amid trade tensions between the United States and its long-time trading partners, including China, the EU and Canada.
- State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi attended the 25th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Regional Forum Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held in Singapore.
8. Saudi Arabia freezes trade ties with Canada
- Saudi Arabia has announced to freeze all new trade and investment with Canada over its interference in its internal affairs.
- The Saudi foreign ministry expelled the Canadian ambassador and recalled its own envoy in Canada.
9. GST Council announces Cashback for Digital transactions
- In the 29th meeting of Goods and Services Tax (GST) council chaired by Finance Minister Piyush Goyal approves cash incentives to promote Digital transactions.
- According to the Finance Minister Piyush Goyal, 20% Cashback upto Rs. 100 for the Digital Transactions done via BHIM, Rupay, or USSD mode.
- It was decided to create a sub-committee headed by MoS Finance Shiv Pratap Shukla for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector.
- It was focused on the concerns and suggestions of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
10. Hardeep S Puri launches official Trailer of Film ‘Halkaa’
- The Union minister Shri Hardeep S Puri has launched the official trailer, music and poster of Bollywood film ‘Halkaa’, Under the Aegis Swachh Bharat Mission.
- “Halkaa” (Relief) is the story of an 8-year-old boy ‘Pichku’ who aspires for a better quality of life.
- The boy refuses to be part of the age-old practice of open defecation.
11. President of India inaugurates ‘Festival of Democracy’ in Thiruvananthapuram
- The President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated the ‘Festival of Democracy’ to mark the conclusion of the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Kerala legislative assembly in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Politics, public life and the quality of democracy are reflections of the essential ethos of a society.
Banking & Finance
12. France’s IDEMIA gets NPCI stamp for RuPay cards
- French company IDEMIA (global leader in augmented identity) has become the first company to be given the certification to manufacture and personalise RuPay chip contact & contactless cards on the qSPARC v2 platform.
- The qSPARC is a dual interface open loop payment specification, with the option of loading multiple payment applications on a single card.
- The certification is issued by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), after testing all payment scenarios.
13. The Netherlands wins women’s Hockey World Cup 2018
- The Netherlands (Defending champions) won the women’s Hockey World Cup for a record eighth time after defeating Ireland 6–0 in the final held at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in London (England).
- Kitty van Male finished the tournament as the top scorer (eight goals).
- Spain won the third-place match by beating Australia 3-1 to claim their first ever World Cup medal.
- India finished the tournament at the 8th spot.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Success is very much the intersection of luck and hard work.“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 5-6th August 2018 before attempting the quiz.