You're Interested in
- Honours & Awards
- 1. Anupam Kher gets ‘Distinguished Fellow’ award
- National Affairs
- 2. NDMC launches QR-enabled fridge magnets for digital payment of bills
- 3. West Bengal to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on 14th November
- 4. Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio launches GPS mapping of govt schools
- 5. West Bengal govt decides to set up boards for Namasudra & Matua communities
- 6. Election Commission sets up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in Chhattisgarh
- 7. Tourism Minister inaugurated Tourist Facilitation Counter at IGI airport
- 8. Yogi Adityanath renames Faizabad district to Ayodhya
- 9. Odisha Govt. launched ‘Mo Bus’ services
- Banking & Finance
- 10. RBI initiates steps to set up digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture details of all borrowers
- International Affairs
- 11. Palau becomes the first country to ban sunscreen to save coral reefs
- National Appointments
- 12. Gaddam Dharmendra appointed India’s Ambassador to Iran
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Prayer: Key of the Day, Lock of the Night“
- Take Quiz Now
Honours & Awards
1. Anupam Kher gets ‘Distinguished Fellow’ award
- Former Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Veteran actor Anupam Kher has been honoured as a ‘Distinguished Fellow’ by IndiaGlobal
- IndiaGlobal is a leading US think-tank that works on issues concerning non-resident Indians.
- The event was held at the prestigious MIT Sloan School of Management in Boston.
- currently, Anupam Kher is in New York, shooting for his most recent international TV show New Amsterdam.
2. NDMC launches QR-enabled fridge magnets for digital payment of bills
- The New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has launched quick response (QR)-enabled fridge magnets for digital payment of bills.
- The magnets are personalised, and each customer will have unique QR Code mapped to their consumer account number.
- It is powered by an IT and services company ‘SignCatch’.
- It is a two-dimensional (matrix) machine-readable barcode made up of the black and white square.
- This code can be read by the camera of a smartphone.
3. West Bengal to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on 14th November
- The West Bengal Govt. has decided to observe “Rosogulla Day” on 14th November to commemorate the first anniversary of Bengal’s Rosogolla getting the Geographical Indication (GI) tag at the ‘Mishti hub’.
- According to the HIDCO Chairman Debasish Sen, Different varieties of rosogolla would be showcased in the stalls of the ‘Mishti Hub’ (sweetmeat hub).
- Rosogolla, a ball-shaped cottage cheese dumpling dipped in a light syrup of sugar.
4. Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio launches GPS mapping of govt schools
- The Chief Minister of Nagaland Neiphiu Rio has launched GPS Mapping of Government Schools and Personnel Location System (PLS) to computerization and digitization of records in Kohima.
- CM Neiphiu Rio congratulated the School Education Department for undertaking the exercise.
- Nagaland School Education Department envisaged this information in the public domain to facilitate departmental information being made more accessible to the public.
5. West Bengal govt decides to set up boards for Namasudra & Matua communities
- West Bengal government has decided to set up development boards (Namasudra Welfare Board and West Bengal Matua Welfare Board) for the Matua and Namasudra communities.
- The chairperson and members of the welfare boards will be decided by the State Chief Minister, Ms. Mamata Banerjee.
- The decision to set up the boards has been taken for socio-economic development of the communities. With the setting up of the welfare boards, there will need specific development work.
- The boards will also ensure better implementation of the government’s developmental projects.
6. Election Commission sets up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in Chhattisgarh
- The Chhattisgarh Election Commission has set up ‘Sangwari’ (means friend) polling booths in various constituencies of Chhattisgarh to encourage women voters to exercise their franchise in the Assembly elections (on November 12th and 20th 2018).
- These women-friendly booths will be manned by all-female staff including presiding officers, supervisors and security personnel.
- According to Chief Electoral Officer Subrat Sahoo, five Sangwari Polling Centres have been set up for women in every assembly segment.
- Chhattisgarh has 90 constituencies, about One crore 85 lakh electorates. Out of this, more than 92 lakh are females.
7. Tourism Minister inaugurated Tourist Facilitation Counter at IGI airport
- Tourism Minister K J Alphons has inaugurated the Tourist Facilitation and Information Counter at Indira Gandhi International Airport (at the terminal-3 arrival gates) in New Delhi.
- The counter will be connected to the 24×7 Helpline – 1363 of the Tourism Ministry.
- The Tourism Ministry is also starting facilitation counters in Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Gaya and Varanasi.
8. Yogi Adityanath renames Faizabad district to Ayodhya
- During Deepotsav celebrations in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has announced that Faizabad district would henceforth be known as Ayodhya.
- The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister also announced a medical college in the name of King Dashrath for the district
- ‘Deepotsav’ event organised in the pilgrim town, about 120 km from State capital Lucknow.
- The event was also attended by the First Lady of South Korea, Kim Jung-sook, and Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik.
- Ayodhya is known around the world for Lord Ram.
- The festival of Diwali is celebrated due to the legend Lord Ram returning home from “vanvas” (exile).
9. Odisha Govt. launched ‘Mo Bus’ services
- Odisha government has launched ‘Mo Bus’ services for the residents of Bhubaneswar, Cuttack and Puri.
- The service will be launched as a part of state government-owned Capital Region Urban Transport’s (CRUT) ‘City Bus Modernisation’ programme.
- The buses will be available in 10-12 min duration for commuters daily for 15 hours (7 A.M. to 10 P.M.) on nine routes.
Banking & Finance
10. RBI initiates steps to set up digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture details of all borrowers
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has initiated steps to set up wide-based digital Public Credit Registry (PCR) to capture loan information of individuals and corporate borrowers.
- In this regard, RBI has invited expression of interest (EOI) for developing PSC from companies with a turnover of over Rs 100 crore in last three years.
- The non-performing assets (NPAs) in the Indian banking system is too much.
11. Palau becomes the first country to ban sunscreen to save coral reefs
- The Western Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country to ban many kinds of sunscreen, in a move to protect its coral reefs from chemicals that scientists say cause significant damage (will take effect in 2020).
- “reef-toxic” sunscreen — defined as containing one of 10 prohibited chemicals, a list that could grow later — can be confiscated from tourists when they enter the country, and retailers who sell it can be fined up to USD 1,000.
12. Gaddam Dharmendra appointed India’s Ambassador to Iran
- Senior diplomat Gaddam Dharmendra (1990-batch Indian Foreign Service officer) has been appointed India’s Ambassador to Iran, the Ministry of External Affairs announced on November 5, 2018.
- He will replace Saurabh Kumar, who was appointed India’s ambassador to Myanmar.
- At present, Mr. Dharmendra is the additional secretary in the MEA.
- India and China are among the eight countries that have been given the rare temporary exemptions from the Iranian sanctions.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Prayer: Key of the Day, Lock of the Night“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 6th November 2018 before attempting the quiz.