You're Interested in
- National Appointment
- 1. Gafur Rakhimov elected International Boxing Association president
- 2. Former India U-19 speedster Saurabh Netravalkar named US captain
- 3. Bhajan singer Vinod Agrawal passes away
- 4. 1971 War Hero M.P. Awati passes away
- National Affairs
- 5. India, Sharjah to bolster economic ties
- 6. India ranked 12th in web-borne threats
- 7. Govt. approves operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens
- Banking & Finance
- 8. RBI starts a process to set up Public Credit Registry for capturing borrowers’ details
- 9. India, Malawi sign MoUs in Extradition Treaty, Atomic Energy and VISA Waiver
- 10. PM Modi meets First Lady of South Korea Kim Jung-sook
- 11. India, South Korea sign MoU on cooperation in sports
- 12. Ayurveda Departments to be opened in new 19 AIIMS: AYUSH Minister
- 13. Guwahati to be connected to six South Asian countries by January 2019
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.“
- Take Quiz Now
1. Gafur Rakhimov elected International Boxing Association president
- Controversial Uzbek businessman ‘Gafur Rakhimov’ has been elected as the president of the International Boxing Association (AIBA).
- Rakhimov won 86 of the 134 second-round votes collected by AIBA officials in Moscow.
- He beat his only opponent, former boxer Serik Konakbayev of Kazakhstan.
- The International Boxing Association or AIBA is a sports organization that sanctions amateur (Olympic-style) boxing matches and awards world and subordinate championships.
AIBA lists three different competitions:
- AIBA Open Boxing (AOB) remains the main competition within AIBA.
- AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) is a professional boxing league.
- World Series of Boxing (WSOB) is a semi-professional team tournament.
2. Former India U-19 speedster Saurabh Netravalkar named US captain
- Former Mumbai medium pacer Saurabh Netravalkar (27-year) has become the captain of the US national cricket team.
- Netravalkar had quit the game to study computer science in Cornell University, USA (in 2015).
- He was India’s highest wicket-taker in the team’s ill-fated U-19 World Cup campaign in 2010.
- Netravalkar played his only Ranji Trophy game for Mumbai against Karnataka and claimed three wickets.
3. Bhajan singer Vinod Agrawal passes away
- The famous Bhajan singer Vinod Agrawal (63-year) passed away in Nayati hospital of Mathura in Uttar Pradesh.
- He was used to sing mostly hymns of Lord Krishna.
- Vinod Agrawal had done more than 1500 live shows across the globe including Singapore, Italy, Britain, Switzerland, France, Germany, Ireland, Canada and Dubai.
- He settled down in Vrindavan for his love for Lord Krishna.
4. 1971 War Hero M.P. Awati passes away
- Vice-Admiral 91 years old M.P. Awati (retd.) passed away.
- Mr. Awati was the commanding officer of INS Kamorta during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, and successfully faced enemy operations for almost a fortnight.
- He was awarded the Vir Chakra for his leadership and gallantry.
- He was also known as the father of Indian Navy’s circumnavigation adventures.
- He served on Indian naval ships such as Ranjit, Vendurthy, Betwa, Tir and Mysore.
- Admiral Awati was the Commandant of the National Defence Academy between March 1976 and July 1977.
5. India, Sharjah to bolster economic ties
- Over 100 Indian investors participated in a business conference in the UAE to strengthen Sharjah’s trade relations with India and to promote the Gulf emirate as a leading business and investment hub in the region.
- The ‘Sharjah-India Business Roundtable’, held on the sidelines of the last week’s Indian-UAE Partnership Summit, was part of India’s continued interest in the emirate’s diversified economy.
- Sharjah is one of the key drivers for Indian outbound investment into the Gulf region, valued at more than USD 137 billion and a primary non-oil trade partner.
6. India ranked 12th in web-borne threats
- According to a report by global cybersecurity company, ‘Kaspersky Lab’, India is ranked 12th worldwide when it comes to the dangers associated with surfing the web.
- In the third quarter (July- September), 32.8% of the users were attacked by web-borne threats in India.
- Kaspersky Lab products detected 48,093,743 Internet-borne malware incidents on the computers of KSN participants in India.
7. Govt. approves operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens
- The union government has approved the operationalization strategy for Operation Greens to ensure availability of Tomato, Onion and Potato throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
- Operation Greens was announced in the Budget speech of 2018-19 with an outlay of 500 crore rupees to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato crops.
- According to the Union Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Price volatility of these crops wreaks havoc in the households of this country.
- This is a revolutionary scheme which has been evolved after sustained dialogue with all stakeholders.
Banking & Finance
8. RBI starts a process to set up Public Credit Registry for capturing borrowers’ details
- The Reserve Bank has initiated setting up a digital Public Credit Registry to capture details of all borrowers, including wilful defaulters and also the pending legal suits in order to check financial delinquencies.
- The Reserve Bank has invited expression of interest for developing the registry from companies with a turnover of over 100 crore rupees in the last three years.
- The Public Credit Registry will also include data from entities like market regulator SEBI, the corporate affairs ministry, Goods and Service Tax Network and the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India to enable the banks and financial institutions to get a 360-degree profile of existing and prospective borrowers on a real-time basis.
9. India, Malawi sign MoUs in Extradition Treaty, Atomic Energy and VISA Waiver
- According to the T S Tirumurti (Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs), Secretariat India & Malawi have signed three MoUs on Extradition Treaty, cooperation in the field of Atomic Energy for peaceful purposes and VISA Waiver for Diplomatic and Official Passports.
- India will also extend a new Line of credit of 215 million US dollars to Malawi for 18 water projects.
- Earlier, Mr Naidu had meeting with the President of Malawi Peter Arthur Mutharika.
10. PM Modi meets First Lady of South Korea Kim Jung-sook
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Kim Jung-sook (First Lady of South Korea) to discuss the deep civilizational and spiritual links between India and South Korea in New Delhi.
- They also exchanged views on promoting people-to-people exchanges.
- First Lady Kim congratulated the Prime Minister on being awarded the Seoul Peace Prize.
- She will be the Chief Guest at the Deepotsav event being organized by Uttar Pradesh government and the ground-breaking ceremony of the new Memorial of Queen Suriratna in Ayodhya.
11. India, South Korea sign MoU on cooperation in sports
- Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore (Sports Minister of India) and Do Jong-hwan (Sports and Tourism of South Korea) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in sports in New Delhi.
- The objective of the MoU is to establish a framework to facilitate and promote cooperation between the two countries on the basis of reciprocity and mutual benefit.
- The two countries will encourage exchanges and cooperative actions between sports authorities, sports federations and other sports bodies in the different areas of cooperation.
- Best practices in the management of sports infrastructure, governance of sports followed by South Korea need to be studied for improvement in our system.
12. Ayurveda Departments to be opened in new 19 AIIMS: AYUSH Minister
- According to AYUSH Minister Shripad Yesso Naik, the Ayurveda Departments will be opened in the 19 new All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS).
- Work is already in progress to start Ayurveda Departments in hundred ESIC hospitals under Ministry of Labour.
- Home Ministry has approved to open Ayurveda Departments in seven hospitals of BSF and other Paramilitary forces.
- This year government has taken many steps to fulfil the theme ‘Ayurveda for public health’.
13. Guwahati to be connected to six South Asian countries by January 2019
- According to Assam Transport minister Chandra Mohan Patowary, Guwahati will be connected with air route with six South Asian countries by January 2019.
- A new air terminal is being set up in Guwahati with the cost of 1243 crore rupees.
- The flight will be operated from Borjhar airport in Guwahati to six countries.
- World Bank has sanctioned 1000 crore rupees loan to strengthen the inland water system in Assam.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 4-5th November 2018 before attempting the quiz.