You're Interested in
- Honours & Awards
- 1. Anees Salim, Ramesan Nair win Sahitya Akademi award 2018
- National Affairs
- 2. Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani approves Rs 50 crore SIT fund
- 3. Maharashtra CM Fadnavis launches SMART initiative for Agribusiness, Rural Transformation
- International Appointment
- 4. Jon Ridgeon appointed CEO of IAAF
- Banking & Finance
- 5. RBI to implement an Ombudsman scheme for digital transactions
- 6. Rs 60000 crore to be spent on MGNREGA this year: Finance Minister
- International Affairs
- 7. India & Peru signs an agreement for co-operation and mutual assistance in Customs Matters
- 8. OPEC set to meet in Vienna
- 9. Noted agriculturalist Jayaraman passes away
- 10. Croatia’s Luka Modric wins Men’s Ballon d’Or award 2018
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking”
- Take Quiz Now
Honours & Awards
1. Anees Salim, Ramesan Nair win Sahitya Akademi award 2018
- The ‘Sahitya Akademi’ has announced its annual Sahitya Akademi Awards-2018 in 24 languages(22 eighth Scheduled Languages + English & Rajasthani).
- Anees Salim has been awarded the ‘Sahitya Akademi Award 2018 for English literature category for his novel ‘The Blind Lady’s Descendants’.
- Ramesan Nair won the award for his work ‘Gurupournami’, a poem on the life of social reformer Sree Narayana Guru.
- An eminent short-story writer, Mushtaq Ahmad Mushtaq, bagged the Award for his collection of short stories “AAKH’’.
- Seven books of poetry, six novels, six short stories, three of literary criticism and two of essays have won the Sahitya Akademi Awards, 2018.
- Poets: Sananta Tanti in Assamese, Paresh Narendra Kamat in Konkani, S Ramesan Nair in Malayalam and Dr Rama Kant Shukla in Sanskrit.
- Short Stories: Sanjib Chattopadhyay in Bengali, Mushtaq Ahmed Mushtaq in Kashmiri and Prof Bina Thakur in Maithili.
- Novel: Inderjeet Kesar in Dogri, Anees Salim in English, Chitra Mudgal in Hindi.
- The award in the form of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque, a shawl, and cheque of Rs 1 lakh will be presented to the authors at a special function on 29th January 2019.
- Sahitya Akademi was established in 1954 by the Govt. of India.
- Sahitya Akademi Award has conferred annually on writers of outstanding works in one of the 24 major Indian languages
- The award consists of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque, a shawl and a cheque of 1 Lakh rupee.
2. Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani approves Rs 50 crore SIT fund
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has approved 50-crore rupees to Science & Technology Innovation (SIT) Fund to provide assistance up to Rs. 50-lakh to UGC and AICTE recognized central and state universities and colleges.
- The assistance will be for a maximum period of three years to develop latent talents, encourage creativity research and development in strategic fields in the knowledge-based ecosystem.
- Earlier, Gujarat Government has announced similar assistance under the Biotechnology Policy and IT Policy.
- Gujarat Government’s Science & Technology Department has identified Gujarat Council of Science & Technology (GUJCOST) to implement the scheme, in the fields to be decided by the Gujarat Government for solving major problems faced by the state.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has launched a unique initiative called “SMART” (State of Maharashtra’s Agribusiness and Rural Transformation) to transform rural Maharashtra.
- The objective of the World Bank assisted to revamp agricultural value chains, with a special focus on marginal farmers across 1,000 villages.
- The project will entail an investment of 300 million US dollars of which the World Bank would contribute 210 million US dollars.
- It will support post-harvest value chain and bring efficiency to benefit the economy at large.
- The project seeks to establish a partnership between the various stakeholders in the agri-business segments including farmer organisations, start-ups, SMEs and large corporates along with women’s self-help groups.
4. Jon Ridgeon appointed CEO of IAAF
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has appointed Jon Ridgeon (British former hurdler) as its new CEO (chief executive officer).
- Ridgeon (51-years) will take up the new role in March 2019.
- Jon Ridgeon winning silver in the shorter event at the 1987 World Championships.
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) is the international governing body (founded on 17th July 1912) for the sport of athletics.
- It has been headquartered in Monaco.
Banking & Finance
5. RBI to implement an Ombudsman scheme for digital transactions
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will implement an Ombudsman Scheme for Digital Transactions covering services provided by entities falling under Reserve Banks regulatory jurisdiction.
- The scheme will be notified by the end of January 2019.
- There is an emerging need for a dedicated, cost-free and expeditious grievance redressal mechanism for strengthening consumer confidence in this channel.
- For customer protection initiative, RBI has issued instructions on limiting customer liability in respect of unauthorised electronic transactions involving banks and credit card issuing non-banking financial companies (NBFCs).
6. Rs 60000 crore to be spent on MGNREGA this year: Finance Minister
- According to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, about 60 thousand crore rupees would be spent on MGNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) this year to improve the infrastructure and the quality of life of people.
- If this level of investment with its annual increase is continued for at least the next two decades, India will be close to providing a quality of life and infrastructure which is more like urban areas.
- MGNREGA is the largest social security scheme in the world, guaranteeing 100 days of unskilled manual work to all rural households in India.
- Last year, about 235 crore person-days of work were generated under the scheme.
- The work is usually on projects to build durable assets like roads, canals, ponds and wells.
7. India & Peru signs an agreement for co-operation and mutual assistance in Customs Matters
- India signed an agreement with Peru for co-operation and mutual assistance in Customs Matters in New Delhi.
- It provides a legal framework for the sharing of information and intelligence between the Customs authorities of the two countries.
- The agreement will also help in the proper application of Customs laws, prevention and investigation of Customs offences.
8. OPEC set to meet in Vienna
- Members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and other oil-producing countries are scheduled to meet in Vienna to discuss ways to manage the oil output, supply glut and demand slowdown.
- OPEC’s third-biggest producer Iran has called to be excluded from any decision to cut production.
- Over the past two months oil prices have plunged and a barrel of Brent crude, the European benchmark.
9. Noted agriculturalist Jayaraman passes away
- Noted agriculturalist Jayaraman passed away in Chennai.
- Jayaraman was the pioneered of the protection and propagation of indigenous paddy varieties in Tamil Nadu.
- Jayaraman has been credited with documenting and protecting more than 170 paddy varieties.
- His diligent work in the field of protecting the gene prototypes of indigenous paddy varieties won him the National Award in 2015 and a state award in 2011.
10. Croatia’s Luka Modric wins Men’s Ballon d’Or award 2018
- Croatia’s midfielder Luca Modrich (33-years) has won prestigious honour of football, Ballon d’Or for his key role in Croatia’s historic run to FIFA World Cup final (defeated by France).
- His club Real Madrid’s third straight Champions League trophy.
- Cristiano Ronaldo remained second in a run of ballon d’or race this year.
- FIFA Ballon d’Or Award is an annual football association award given by FIFA to the male player who has performed the best in the previous calendar year.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking”
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 5th December 2018 before attempting the quiz.