You're Interested in
- National Affairs
- 1. Delhi’s Signature Bridge opens for public
- 2. Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation announces Swachh Bharat World Toilet Day Contest Subscribe for Latest सरकारी Jobs Updates in Whatsapp Group! Join Group
- 3. National Seminar on Entrepreneurship & Business Development in Ayurveda begins in New Delhi
- 4. 18th Indian Ocean Rim Association Council of Ministers Meeting Held in Durban
- 5. Kolkata leads Ease of Moving Index 2018
- Important Days
- 6. 5th November: World Tsunami Awareness Day
- 7. 5th November: Ayurveda Day celebrated throughout the Country
- Honour & Awards
- 8. Noted Malayalam writer M Mukundan wins Ezhuthachan award
- 9. Super 30 founder Anand Kumar to be honoured with education award in Dubai
- International Affairs
- 10. Indo-French Conclave held in Nagpur
- Science & Defence
- 11. IIT-Madras creates ‘Shakti’, India’s first microprocessor
- 12. Offshore patrol vessel ICGS Varaha launched
- 13. Subhankar Dey wins SaarLorLux Open Badminton tournament in Germany
- 14. Karen Khachanov lifts Paris Masters Men’s Singles title
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Your thoughts are the architects of your destiny.“
- Take Quiz Now
1. Delhi’s Signature Bridge opens for public
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has inaugurated the iconic ‘Signature Bridge’ over river ‘Yamuna’. in Delhi.
- The Signature Bridge (675 metres long) is a cantilever spar cable-stayed bridge, spans Yamuna river at Wazirabad section, connecting Wazirabad to East Delhi.
- The pylon of the Signature bridge is the tallest structure in Delhi and is double the height of Qutb Minar, with 154-metre high viewing box, which acts as selfie points for people.
- It is the country’s first asymmetrical cable-stayed bridge.
2. Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation announces Swachh Bharat World Toilet Day Contest
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has announced Swachh Bharat World Toilet Day Contest for districts and States.
- The purpose of the Contest is to encourage all districts in India to re-intensify the sanitation movement with a special focus on Open Defecation Free-ODF Sustainability.
- Top 10 District Collectors, top 3 State Mission Directors and State Secretary in-charge of Sanitation will be recognized and awarded by the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Contest does not apply to the five States of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Telangana and Mizoram.
- The application window will be opened on the occasion of World Toilet Day (19th November) and will remain open till the end of this month.
3. National Seminar on Entrepreneurship & Business Development in Ayurveda begins in New Delhi
- A two-day National Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Ayurveda has begun in New Delhi.
- The seminar has been organised by the AYUSH Ministry.
- The seminar is expected to develop awareness among stakeholders about business opportunities, encouraging young entrepreneurs to use modern technologies and highlight opportunities at the global level.
- Experts in marketing, innovation, policymakers, experts in start-up as well as experienced entrepreneurs in Ayurveda pharmaceuticals and hospital industry will guide and share their experiences with the participants.
- Nearly 800 participants from across the country are expected to take part in the seminar.
4. 18th Indian Ocean Rim Association Council of Ministers Meeting Held in Durban
- The 18th Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Council of Ministers Meeting was held in Durban, South Africa. Gen. (Dr.) VK Singh (Retd.), Minister of State for External Affairs, attended the IORA Council of Ministers Meeting.
- This meeting took place during the on-going celebrations of the 150th year of the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and the 100th birth anniversary of Nelson Mandela.
- The Indian Ocean Rim Association is an inter-governmental organisation which was established on 7th March 1997.
5. Kolkata leads Ease of Moving Index 2018
- The union minister Nitin Gadkari has released the Ola Mobility Institute’s (OMI), India’s first Ease of Moving Index, 2018.
- As part of report findings, Kolkata ranks the highest in terms of affordability of public transportation with 80% of commuters finding Kolkata’s public transport reasonable and affordable.
- Ola Mobility Institute (OMI) is the research and outreach arm of Ola.
6. 5th November: World Tsunami Awareness Day
- The World Tsunami Awareness Day (WTAD) is being observed across the world on 5th November.
- The first World Tsunami Awareness Day was observed on 5th November 2016.
- In 2018, the World Tsunami Awareness Day will align with the International Day for Disaster Reduction and the “Sendai Seven Campaign” and will focus on Target “c” of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction which aims at reducing direct disaster economic loss in relation to GDP.
7. 5th November: Ayurveda Day celebrated throughout the Country
- This year Ayurveda Day is being observed on 5th November 2018.
- Ministry of AYUSH observes Ayurveda Day every year on Dhanawantari Jayanti (Dhanteras).
- The objective of the day to encourage entrepreneurs and Ayurveda stakeholders towards businesses opportunities in the sector.
- Ministry AYUSH is organising a “National Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Ayurveda” in association with NITI Aayog at Dr. Ambedkar International centre, Janpath, New Delhi.
Honour & Awards
8. Noted Malayalam writer M Mukundan wins Ezhuthachan award
- Noted Malayalam writer M Mukundan (76- years) has been selected for the highest literacy prize ‘Ezhuthachan Puraskaram 2018’.
- The award is being given for his overall contributions to the language and literature.
- The Ezhuthachan Puraskaram is the highest literary honour named after Ezhuthachan (the father of the Malayalam language), given by the Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Government of Kerala.
- The award consists of a cash prize of Rs 5,50,000 and a citation.
- The award was instituted in 1993 and Sooranad Kunjan Pillai was its first recipient.
9. Super 30 founder Anand Kumar to be honoured with education award in Dubai
- Veteran Mathematician 45-year old Anand Kumar (Super 30 founder) will be awarded for his ‘pioneering’ contribution to the field of education and illuminating the lives of many talented students (on 8th November).
- Mr Anand will be honoured with ‘Global Education Award’ by ‘Malabar Gold & Diamonds’, a flagship company of Malabar Group, a leading Indian business conglomerate.
- A 12-member jury shortlisted Kumar from a list of 100 names working in the field of education across the globe after a three-month research and consequent deliberations.
- Anand Kumar’s life has involved a lot of struggle and his contributions to the field of education is indeed pioneering.
10. Indo-French Conclave held in Nagpur
- Indo-French Conclave signed 12 agreements worth 200 million euro held in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- The Indo-French Conclave was organized by Indo French Chamber of Commerce & Industry (IFCCI) and the Embassy of France in India.
Science & Defence
11. IIT-Madras creates ‘Shakti’, India’s first microprocessor
- The Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IITM) have designed and booted up India’s first microprocessor ‘Shakti’.
- An open-source high-level synthesis language ‘Bluespec’ was used in making the chips.
- The Shakti microprocessor can be used in low-power wireless systems and networking systems besides reducing reliance on imported microprocessors in communication and defence sectors.
- It could be used in mobile computing and other devices.
- In 2017, the project gained speed with about Rs 11 crore funding from the Indian government.
12. Offshore patrol vessel ICGS Varaha launched
- According to Defence Ministry, The Indian Coast Guard has launched a new offshore patrol vessel called ICGS Varaha from a corporate shipyard near Chennai.
- The vessel has been designed and built indigenously.
- This is the third in a series of seven similar ships to be handed over to the Coast Guard. The timeline for the delivery of all the vessels is March 2021.
- ICGS Varaha will soon be fitted with advanced navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machinery.
- The weapons will include a 30 mm guns with Fire Control Systems.
- It will also be capable of carrying a twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for Search and Rescue and Maritime Patrol.
13. Subhankar Dey wins SaarLorLux Open Badminton tournament in Germany
- Indian badminton player Subhankar Dey has won the SaarLorLux Open at Saarbrucken in Germany.
- He defeated fifth-placed Rajiv Ouseph (Britain), in straight games, 21-11, 21-14.
- This is Subhankar’s first title of 2018.
- Earlier, he had finished runner-up in the Kabal International tournament at the Czech Republic.
14. Karen Khachanov lifts Paris Masters Men’s Singles title
- Russian Karen Khachanov (22-year old) has lifted the Paris Masters Men’s Singles Tennis title with a stunning win over Novak Djokovic.
- He defeated Djokovic in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4 to end the Serb’s 22-match unbeaten run.
- Khachanov has become the first Russian since Nikolay Davydenko in 2009 to win a Masters 1000 title.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Your thoughts are the architects of your destiny.“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 2nd November 2018 before attempting the quiz.