You're Interested in
- National Affairs
- 1. President Kovind inaugurates Accountants General conference in New Delhi
- 2. Cyclone ‘Titli’ intensifies into severe cyclonic storm
- 3. Uttarakhand CM flags off test run of state’s first electric bus
- 4. India, Japan navies hold the joint military exercise in Vizag
- 5. Smriti Irani inaugurates Silk Expo & Workshop on Silk Samagra in Imphal
- 6. Govt. to commemorate 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev next year
- 7. Mysuru Dasara gets off to a traditional start
- 8. IAF launches a mobile Health app for citizens of India
- Important Dates
- 9. World Mental Health Day: 10th October
- 10. Well-known Malayalam poet M N Paloor passes away
- 11. Bollywood singer Nitin Bali passes away in Mumbai
- International Affairs
- 12. Nikki Haley resigns as US Ambassador to United Nations
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go“
- Take Quiz Now
1. President Kovind inaugurates Accountants General conference in New Delhi
- President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated the two days Accounts General conference in New Delhi.
- The Accounts General from all over the country is participating in the conference, organized by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- The meeting deliberates the most modern audit techniques to further improve audit effectiveness and enhance accountability in public spending.
- The conference will deliberate upon four brain storming sessions on Audit Planning, audit execution and accounting in a digital environment.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) is a constitutional body mandated to keep a watch on the system of governance in the country to ensure the best use to taxpayer’s money.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General of India is an authority, established by Article 148 of the Constitution of India
- CAG audits all receipts and expenditure of the Government of India and the state governments, including those of bodies and authorities substantially financed by the government.
2. Cyclone ‘Titli’ intensifies into severe cyclonic storm
- According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), Cyclone ‘Titli’ over the Bay of Bengal intensified into a severe cyclonic storm and is moving towards the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh coast.
- The cyclonic storm is likely to make a landfall between Gopalpur in Odisha and Kalingapatanam in Andhra Pradesh at a wind speed of 145 kmph.
3. Uttarakhand CM flags off test run of state’s first electric bus
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh ‘Rawat flagged off the test run of the state’s first electric bus to encourage the operation of pollution-free vehicles.
- The Electric Vehicle Policy was framed by the Uttarakhand Government.
- In the recent Investors Summit, a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) of 700 crore rupees was signed for the operation of electric buses in the state.
- In this connection, a bus has been provided by a Hyderabad based company for test run on Dehradun-Mussoorie and Haldwani-Nainital road for one month.
- The low floor bus with 30 seats is equipped with CCTV, GPS, Panic Button and Air Suspension.
- The third edition of Japan-India Maritime Exercise (JIMEX) was carried out by the naval forces in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The objective of the exercise to improve interoperability and imbibe the best of the practices.
- The Indian Navy is represented by three indigenously designed and built warships and a fleet tanker including, INS Satpura, anti-submarine warfare corvette INS Kadmatt, missile corvette and INS Shakti (fleet tanker).
- Japanese side is taking part in the exercise with its Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) ships Kaga, an Izumo-class helicopter destroyer, and Inazuma (a guided missile destroyer).
5. Smriti Irani inaugurates Silk Expo & Workshop on Silk Samagra in Imphal
- The Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani has inaugurated a three-day Silk Expo and workshop on Silk Samagra in Imphal, Manipur.
- Recently, the union Govt. has approved setting up of an Eri Spinning Mill worth 22 Crore rupees for the expansion of silk industry in the state.
- The union govt. has announced a package of 6000 crore rupees for the development of apparel and make-up sector in the country.
- She also distributed 1.73 Crore rupees through DBT to 322 beneficiaries of Integrated Sericulture Development Project (ISDP-Hills) for the construction of Individual Adult Rearing House (IARH).
6. Govt. to commemorate 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev next year
- The Union Govt. will commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev (founder of Sikhism) next year with events across the globe.
- According to Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma, special programmes will be organised in the country as well as in different parts of the world to mark the occasion.
- The union government decided to commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev as ‘universal brotherhood year’.
- Guru Nanak was born on 15th April 1469 at Rai Bhoi Ki Talvaṇḍi (present day Nankana Sahib, Punjab, Pakistan) near Lahore.
- His birth is celebrated worldwide as Guru Nanak Gurpurab on Kartik Pooranmashi.
- Guru Nanak’s words are registered in the form of 974 poetic hymns in the holy text of Sikhism (the Guru Granth Sahib).
7. Mysuru Dasara gets off to a traditional start
- The chairman of Infosys Sudha Murthy has inaugurated the ten- days Mysuru Dasara ‘Nada Habba’ at the Chamundi Hills in Bengaluru.
- The legendary Mysuru Dasara or ‘Nada Habba’ (State Festival) got off to a traditional start at the top Chamundi Hills in Bengaluru.
- Ms. Sudha Murthy (chairman of Infosys) lighting lamp and offering flowers to the idol of Goddess Chamundeshwari, the presiding deity of Mysuru, placed inside a silver chariot in the temple premises.
- With this, a series of Dasara events will unfold all through the day and some of them include the Dasara flower show, Dasara food festival, Dasara film festival, Dasara exhibition.
8. IAF launches a mobile Health app for citizens of India
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has launched an innovative mobile health App named ‘MedWatch’ for citizens of India.
- The app is conceived by the doctors of IAF and developed in house by Directorate of Information Technology (DIT) with ZERO financial outlay.
- ‘MedWatch’ will provide correct, Scientific and authentic health information to air warriors and all citizens of India.
9. World Mental Health Day: 10th October
- The World Mental Health Day is observed every year on 10th October to raise awareness about mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- The theme for this year is ” Young people and mental health in a changing world”.
10. Well-known Malayalam poet M N Paloor passes away
- Well known Malayalam poet M N Paloor (86-year) passed away due to age-related ailments at Kovoor, Kozhikode.
- Paloor received the Sahitya Akademi Award for his autobiography ‘Kathayillathavante Katha’ in 2013.
- He also won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in 1983 for his collection ‘Kalikalam’.
11. Bollywood singer Nitin Bali passes away in Mumbai
- Bollywood Singer Nitin Bali (47-year) passed away in a car accident.
- Bali shot to fame in the 1990s for remixing popular songs ‘Neele neele ambar par’ was a chartbuster.
- Earlier, He was injured when his car hit a divider on SV Road in suburban Borivali.
12. Nikki Haley resigns as US Ambassador to United Nations
- US Ambassador to the United Nations (since 2017) Nikki Haley (Indian American) resigned directly to US President Donald Trump.
- At United Nations, she has been a vocal critic of Russia and a supporter of US sanctions.
- According to US President Donald Trump, Nikki Haley will continue as the US Ambassador to the United Nations until the end of the year.
‘Thoughts of the day’
“Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go“
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 9th October 2018 before attempting the quiz.