You're Interested in
- National Affairs
- 1. 1st ‘India Tourism Mart’ to be organized in New Delhi
- 2. Samsung inaugurates world’s largest mobile phone factory in Noida
- 3. Asian Development Bank approves 503-million US Dollar project of the lining of Son canal in Bihar
- 4. Indian Railways introduces first Double Stack dwarf Container Service
- 5. Van Mahotsav begins at Rajgarh in Sirmaur district Himachal Pradesh
- 6. India & China agree to reduce tariffs on Chinese imports of Indian medicines
- 7. Gujarat Government grants religious minority status to Jews
- 8. Government declares 6 educational ‘Institutions of Eminence
- 9. Actor Kavi Kumar Azad passes away
- Science & Defense
- 10. China successfully launched two remote-sensing satellites for Pakistan
- 11. Ajay Jayaram finishes runner-up at White Nights International Challenge
- Thought of the Day
- “Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny”
1. 1st ‘India Tourism Mart’ to be organized in New Delhi
- According to Tourism Minister K J Alphons, the first India Tourism Mart (ITM) 2018 will be organized at Vigyan Bhawan New Delhi from 16 to 18th September 2018.
- The India Tourism Mart will provide a platform for stakeholders in the tourism and hospitality industries to interact and transact business opportunities.
- Over 300 international buyers, influencers and bloggers are expected to attend the event.
- Around 200 stalls will be provided to the sellers to enable them to interact with the buyers.
- The objective of the event is to create an annual Global Tourism Mart for India in line with major international travel marts being held in countries across the world.
2. Samsung inaugurates world’s largest mobile phone factory in Noida
- Samsung (South Korean technology giant) opens world’s largest mobile manufacturing unit in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- It was jointly inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
- It will help the company to double its current manufacturing capacity for mobile phones from 6.8 crore units a year to 12 crore units a year.
- The new factory has been built at the investment of Rs. 4,915 crore on the 35-acre land.
3. Asian Development Bank approves 503-million US Dollar project of the lining of Son canal in Bihar
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved ‘Son canal’ project in Shahabad-Bhojpur region of Bihar which would benefit the agriculture sector immensely in the region.
- The estimated cost of the project is 503 million dollars (Rs 3272.49 crore) out of which 352 million dollars is being provided by ADB.
- Power and New & Renewable Energy Minister RK Singh asked the ADB and the finance ministry officials to fix a timeframe for the completion of the project.
- Son River of central India is the second largest of the Ganges’ southern tributaries after Yamuna River.
- The Son originates near Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh.
- The Son parallels the Kaimur hills, flowing east-northeast through Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand and Bihar state to join the Ganges just west of Patna.
4. Indian Railways introduces first Double Stack dwarf Container Service
- Indian Railways has introduced Double Stack Dwarf Container Services to capture the lost traffic through the new delivery model for domestic cargo.
- This freight train was flagged off from Western Railway’s Rajkot railway station on its maiden commercial run.
- This train was booked from the Reliance Rail Siding at Kanalus to Rewari in the state of Haryana.
5. Van Mahotsav begins at Rajgarh in Sirmaur district Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jairam Thakur has inaugurated the state-level program Van Mahotsav at Rajgarh in Sirmaur district.
- The three-day plantation campaign will be carried out during the festival.
6. India & China agree to reduce tariffs on Chinese imports of Indian medicines
- India & China have reached an agreement for the reduction of tariffs on Chinese imports of Indian medicines, particularly cancer drugs.
- China also agreed to increase imports of Indian medicines (particularly anti-cancer drugs).
- Both countries also slashed import tariffs for a range of products with effect from 1st July, following the fourth round of negotiations under the Asia Pacific Trade Agreement (APTA) includes Bangladesh, Laos, South Korea and Sri Lanka.
7. Gujarat Government grants religious minority status to Jews
- According to the Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, the State Government has granted religious minority status to Jews in the state.
- Gujarat is the third state in India (earlier, West Bengal and Maharashtra) to grant religious minority status to Jews.
- Judaism is one of the oldest religions of the world, evolved in Egypt about 3,700 years ago.
8. Government declares 6 educational ‘Institutions of Eminence
- The Union Government has shortlisted Six Institutions of Eminence (IoEs) including 3 from Public Sector and 3 from Private Sector.
- Public Sector: (i) Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Karnataka; (ii) Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Maharashtra; and (iii) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Private Sector: (i) Jio Institute (Reliance Foundation), Pune under Green Field Category; (ii) Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences, Pilani, Rajasthan; and (iii) Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka.
9. Actor Kavi Kumar Azad passes away
- Actor Kavi Kumar Azaad (46-year) passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest.
- Mr Azaad is known for playing the character of Dr Hansraaj Hathi on the popular sitcom “Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashma”.
- Azaad replaced actor Nirmal Soni as Dr Hathi, who played the role for a year since the show’s inception, in 2009.
Science & Defense
10. China successfully launched two remote-sensing satellites for Pakistan
- China successfully launched two remote sensing satellites for Pakistan, marking the first international commercial launch for the Long March-2C rocket in about 19 years.
- The satellites (a) PRSS-1 and (b) PakTES-1A – were launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China.
- The PRSS-1 is China’s first optical remote sensing satellite sold to Pakistan.
- A scientific experiment satellite, PakTES-1A, developed by Pakistan, was sent into orbit via the same rocket.
- It is another space cooperation between China and Pakistan since the launch of PAKSAT-1R, a communication satellite, in August 2011.
11. Ajay Jayaram finishes runner-up at White Nights International Challenge
- Indian shuttler ‘Ajay Jayaram’ (30-year) finished runners-up at the White Nights International Challenge after losing in the finals against Pablo Abian (Spain) in Gatchina, Russia.
- He had an impressive run at the tournament before losing 21-11, 16-21, 17-21 to Pablo in a 55-minute summit clash.
Thought of the Day
“Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny”
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 8-9th July 2018 before attempting the quiz.