You're Interested in
- National Affairs
- 1. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates PETROTECH-2019 today
- 2. 1st of 15 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters arrived in India
- 3. PM Narendra Modi lays the foundation for Sela Tunnel
- 4. K J Alphons lays foundation stone for Sree Narayana Guru spiritual pilgrimage circuit
- International Affairs
- 5. Egypt’s President El-Sissi elected as chairman of the African Union
- 6. Multinational Maritime Exercise ‘Aman 19’ commenced in Karachi
- Banking & Finance
- 7. RBI slaps fine of Rs 1 crore on State Bank of India
- Important Dates
- 8. Festival of Basant Panchami is being celebrated across the nation
- 9. 10th February: World Pulses Day
- 10. International Day of Women and Girls in Science being observed today
- 11. Spin legend Shane Warne named brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals
- 12. Railways lift Senior Men’s National hockey title
- 13. India’s young paddlers clinch four medals
- 14. Corentin Moutet clinches Chennai Open ATP Challenger title
- ‘Thoughts of the day’
- Attempt free mock test of all upcoming exams from Bank 2019 Plus Pack!
1. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates PETROTECH-2019 today
- Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has formally inaugurated the three-day International Oil and Gas Conference ‘PETROTECH-2019’ (13th) at India Expo Mart in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The ‘PETROTECH-2019’ is being organised under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
- India is the 3rd largest consumer of crude oil and petroleum products.
- The PETROTECH series of International Oil & Gas Conference is a biennial platform for national and international experts in the oil & gas industry to exchange views and share knowledge, expertise, and experiences.
- 12 the edition of PETROTECH-2016 on 5th December 2016.
2. 1st of 15 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters arrived in India
- According to Boeing (the maker of Chinooks), the first of the fifteen Chinook heavy-lift helicopter ordered by the Indian Air Force (IAF) received at the Mundra Port in Gujarat.
- Now Chinooks (carry around 10 tonnes of load) will be transported to its home base at Chandigarh.
- Chinooks have a unique twin-engine, tandem rotor design which has become one of the most visibly recognised symbols of the American armed forces.
- In September 2015, India had signed a 3 billion-dollar deal with the US for the purchase of 15 Chinook heavy lift and 22 AH-64E Apache attack helicopters.
3. PM Narendra Modi lays the foundation for Sela Tunnel
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the strategically important Sela Tunnel Project (costing – Rs 687 crore) in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It will give a fillip to the overall development of the area as it will provide all-weather connectivity to Tawang and other areas.
- This tunnel will cut across and reduce the distance between Dirang and Tawang by 10 km.
- The project is being constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in the next three years.
4. K J Alphons lays foundation stone for Sree Narayana Guru spiritual pilgrimage circuit
- Union Tourism Minister KJ Alphons has laid the foundation stone for the Sree Narayana Guru spiritual pilgrimage circuit at the spiritual abode of the renowned social reformer in Varkala, Kerala.
- This project covers all the places in Thiruvananthapuram district where the Guru spent most of his life.
- This project which was sanctioned last month will help improve the infrastructure and facilities at these centres.
5. Egypt’s President El-Sissi elected as chairman of the African Union
- Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi (65-years) has been elected as the chairman of the African Union at the continental body’s summit in Ethiopia.
- El-Sisi’s election brings an end the one-year chairmanship of Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame.
- The Chairperson of the African Union is the ceremonial head of the African Union elected by the Assembly of Heads of State and Government for a one-year term.
- It rotates among the continent’s five regions (Southern Africa, Central Africa, West Africa, East Africa, North Africa).
6. Multinational Maritime Exercise ‘Aman 19’ commenced in Karachi
- The five-day Multinational Maritime Exercise “AMAN-19” commenced in Karachi with the slogan “Together for Peace”.
- The flag of 46 countries including Pakistan presented a march-past.
- According to Pakistan Vice Admiral Amjad Khan Niazi, it is a step to enhance cooperation, take benefit from mutual advantage and understand each other.
- Ambassadors and delegates of various countries are also present in the inauguration ceremony.
Banking & Finance
7. RBI slaps fine of Rs 1 crore on State Bank of India
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has slapped Rs 1 crore penalty on the country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
- RBI in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 has levied a penalty.
- SBI does not share details of the borrower and the loan amount given to the borrower.
8. Festival of Basant Panchami is being celebrated across the nation
- Basant Panchami festival (Saraswati Puja) is being celebrated every year on the fifth day of the month of ‘Magha’ and marks the beginning of the spring season.
- On this day, Hindus wearing yellow clothes visit temples and pray to Goddess Saraswati (the goddess of knowledge).
9. 10th February: World Pulses Day
- The first-ever World Pulses Day was celebrated on 10th February 2019.
- The day designated United Nations global event to celebrate pulses worldwide and continue the important gains made with the 2016 International Year of Pulses.
- Pulses are a type of leguminous crops that are harvested solely for the dry seed and does not include crops that are harvested green.
10. International Day of Women and Girls in Science being observed today
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science is being observed to highlight the work of female scientists throughout its divisions and agencies.
- The Theme of 2019 is “Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth“.
- At present, less than 30% of researchers worldwide are women.
- Globally, female students’ enrolment is particularly low in ICT (3%), natural science, mathematics and statistics (5%) and in engineering, manufacturing and construction (8%).
- The United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution A/RES/70/212 declaring 11 February as the International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
11. Spin legend Shane Warne named brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals
- Australia spin legend Shane Warne has been named the brand ambassador of Rajasthan Royals (RR) for the Indian Premier League (IPL)-2019.
- Warne went on to captain Rajasthan Royals for four seasons until 2011, after which he retired from all forms of cricket.
- Besides, the Rajasthan Royals has also decided to change its jersey colour from blue to pink this year.
12. Railways lift Senior Men’s National hockey title
- Railway Sports Promotion Board lifted the 9th Senior National Men’s Hockey Championship crown at Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- They dished out a scintillating performance to stun defending champions Punjab 3-2 and claim the gold medal.
- Petroleum Sports Promotion Board beat Punjab and Sind Bank, 4-1 to clinch the Bronze medal.
13. India’s young paddlers clinch four medals
- India’s young paddlers clinching four medals (1-gold, 2- silver and 1- bronze) at the Bahrain Junior and Cadet Open Table Tennis tournament in Manama, Bahrain.
- In the final, The India-A team of Suhana Saini and Anargya Manjunath proved too strong for India-B and clinched the Gold.
- In the Junior girls’ competition, the Indian team of Manushree Patil and Swastika Ghosh beat three teams before losing to eventual champions Russia to settle for a Silver.
14. Corentin Moutet clinches Chennai Open ATP Challenger title
- Corentin Moutet (France) beat Andrew Harris (Australia) 6-3, 6-3 in the singles final to win the Chennai Open ATP Challenger tennis tournament in Chennai.
- It was the second Challenger title for Moutet, who received 80 ATP points, while Andrew got 48 ATP points.
- The Chennai Open Challenger is a professional tennis tournament played on hard courts annually in Chennai, India since 2018.
- currently, it is a part of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Challenger Tour.
‘Thoughts of the day’
‘Hardening of the heart ages people faster than hardening of the arteries’
GK Quiz (for previous day’s news only) Take the quiz below to find out how well-versed you are in current affairs. You can also go through the Daily GK Update: 9th February 2019 before attempting the quiz.
Download Entranceadda, Best Current Affairs for daily updates and exam preparation.