1. Public Affairs Index 2018
- The Public Affairs Index 2018 released by Bengaluru-based think-tank Public Affairs Centre (PAC) were as follows:
- Tamil Nadu
- Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Bihar ranked the lowest on the index, indicating higher social and economic inequalities in the states.
- Among smaller states (with the population less than two crores), the ranking was:
- Himachal Pradesh
- Nagaland, Manipur and Meghalaya were ranked at the bottom of the index among small states.
- Released annually since 2016.
- The index examines governance performance in the states through a data-based framework, ranking them on social and economic development they are able to provide.
- Founded in 1994 by renowned economist and scholar, late Samuel Paul, the think-tank works to mobilise a demand for better governance in the country.
Topic- GS- 3- Growth and development
Source- The Indian Express
2. Global Slavery Index 2018
- In India, the 2018 index estimates that there were around 8 million people living in modern slavery in the country in 2016.
- In terms of prevalence, there were 6.1 victims for every thousand people.
- Among 167 countries, India ranked 53 in terms of prevalence.
- The 10 countries with the largest number of absolute numbers of people in modern slavery include India, China, Pakistan, North Korea, Nigeria, Iran, Indonesia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Russia and the Philippines.
- The 2018 Global Slavery Index provides a country by the country ranking of the number of people in modern slavery, as well as an analysis of the actions governments are taking to respond, and the factors that make people vulnerable.
- Published by the Walk Free Foundation.
- Since 2013
Topic- GS- 2- Organizations and agencies
Source- Money Control
3. Most advanced System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting (SAFAR) at Chandni Chowk in Delhi.
- State-of-the-art Air Quality and Weather Forecast System– SAFAR (System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting) was unveiled at Chandni Chowk
- The giant true colour LED display gives out real-time air quality index on 24×7 basis with colour coding along with 72-hour advance forecast.
- The air quality station will also measure the sun’s UV-Index and will provide the measurement of online automatic ultrafine particles PM1 and Mercury, both of which have direct relevance to human health. Based on UVI, skin advisories will be issued on display.
- SAFAR will accelerate public awareness and preparedness of air pollution and weather extremes.
- It will monitor all weather parameters like temperature, rainfall, humidity, wind speed and wind direction.
- In addition to regular air quality parameters like PM2.5, PM10, Sulfur Dioxide, Ozone, Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxide, the system will also monitor the existence of Benzene, Toluene and Xylene.
Air Quality Index
- Air Quality Index (AQI) is one such tool for effective dissemination of air quality information to people.
- There are six AQI categories, namely Good, Satisfactory, Moderately polluted, Poor, Very Poor, and Severe.
- The AQI considers eight pollutants (PM10, PM2.5, NO2, SO2, CO, O3, NH3, and Pb) for which short-term (up to 24-hourly averaging period) National Ambient Air Quality Standards are prescribed.
Topic- GS-3- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
4. The 10th edition of Delhi Dialogue held in New Delhi, ASEAN-India trade likely to touch 100 billion by 2020.
- The theme of the two-day DD -10 is “Strengthening India-ASEAN Maritime Cooperation”.
- This is the first major event to be organized after the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit, that was held in New Delhi in January 2018.
- The Delhi Dialogue is a premier annual track 1.5 event to discuss politico-security, economic and socio-cultural engagement between India and ASEAN.
- Since 2009, it is held annually and political leaders, policy makers, senior officials, diplomats, think tanks and academicians from both sides participate in the discussions pertaining to ASEAN-India relations.
- It is aimed at finding a common ground and expanding the scope of cooperation between India and ASEAN nations.
- Union Urban Development and Housing Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said the bilateral trade between ASEAN and India has crossed USD 80-billion mark, which not only shows growing confidence but also constitutes the highest volume of trade in goods that ASEAN and India have witnessed since the signing of the FTA in 2010. If this double-digit trade growth continues, ASEAN-India trade is likely to touch USD 100 billion by 2020.
Note- The term track 1.5 diplomacy is used by some analysts to define a situation where official and non-official actors cooperate in conflict resolution.
- NDA Government wins No Confidence motion in Lok Sabha, BJP MPs move the privilege notice against Rahul Gandhi for misleading Parliament.
No- Confidence Motion
- A motion of no-confidence is a statement or vote which states that a person(s) in a position of responsibility (government, managerial, etc.) is no longer deemed fit to hold that position.
- Article 75(3) of our Constitution of India embodies this rule by specifying that Council of Ministers is collectively responsible to Lok Sabha. But there is no mention of a no-confidence motion in the constitution.
- As a Parliamentary Motion, it demonstrates to the Head of the state that the elected parliament no longer has confidence in (one or more members of) the appointed Government.
- As per the Constitution, all members of the Parliament enjoy certain rights and immunities – this is also referred to as Parliamentary Privilege which is enjoyed both by the Parliament and the members in their individual capacity.
- Privilege motion refers to a notice by any member of either House of a state legislature or Parliament, against anyone members who are accused of breach of privilege.
Topic- GS -2- Indian Constitution
Source- The Hindu
- Rani- ki- Vav
- The Reserve Bank of India will soon issue a new Rs 100 note in lavender colour having a motif of ‘Rani Ki Vav’ on the reverse.
- Rani-ki-Vav is an 11th-century old heritage site in Patan, Gujarat, on the banks of the Saraswati River, and is a UNESCO heritage site. The Heritage site was awarded as the cleanest iconic place in India.
- It is believed that the stepwell (Vav) was built in memory of Bhima by his widowed queen Udayamati.
- The structure is designed as an inverted temple highlighting the sanctity of water.
Konark Sun Temple
Hampi with Chariot
Rani ki vav
Topic –GS-1- Indian Architecture
Source- The Hindu
- First ever Centre for Climate Change in Lucknow.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has launched the Centre for Climate Change for accelerating concerted climate action by various stakeholders in government, private, financial and non -government actors.
- It is the first of its kind centre in South East Asia, located in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is an apex development financial institution in India, headquartered at Mumbai with regional offices all over India.
- It was established in 1982 on recommendations of Shivaraman Committee to implement National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981.
- The Bank has been entrusted with “matters concerning policy, planning and operations in the field of credit for agriculture and other economic activities in rural areas in India”.
- NABARD is active in developing financial inclusion policy and is a member of the Alliance for Financial Inclusion.
Topic- GS- 3- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it
Source- Indian Express
- Israel Adopts Jewish Nation-State Law
- Israel’s parliament today adopted a law defining the country as the nation-state of the Jewish people, provoking fears it could lead to blatant discrimination against Arab citizens
- Israel has no constitution. It has the certain Basic law which has some constitutional status.
- The nation-state law is the 14th such basic law.
- This would certify as a basic law that Isreal is indeed the world’s Jewish State.
- It asserts that Hebrew is the country’s national language and would demote Arabic to special status.
- It also establishes the flag, the national symbol and anthem.
Topic- GS – 1 -Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
Source- Times of India
- Govt to ask Micro Small Medium Enterprises to obtain Udyog Aadhaar
- The government will urge about one crore MSMEs registered under the GST Network to obtain Udyog Aadhaar number to avail benefits of various government schemes.
- The move is aimed convergence of the database of GSTN with Udyog Aadhaar and at procuring the MSMEs’ contact details and information about their business verticals, so that government policies can be tailored to match their needs.
- Over 48 lakh MSMEs are presently registered under Udyog Aadhaar, which enables these units to seek information and apply online about various services being offered by all ministries and departments.
- Udyog Aadhaar is 12-digit National Portal for Registration of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises.
- By Ministry of MSME/SSI.
- It is a government registration provided with recognition certification and a unique number, for certifying small/medium business or enterprise.
Topic- GS-2- Welfare schemes
Source- Indian Express